- Beer Census results - On Saturday 10 June, members of the Sheffield & District branch travelled to all corners of the city for the annual Beer Census. The intention was to gain some insight into the amount, range and cost of the real ales available in Sheffield on any given day. It’s an annual opportunity to take the pulse […]
- SCBF43 beer mats on eBay - Four limited edition sets of 15 mint condition Beermats, advertising the 43rd Annual Steel City Beer Festival (SCBF43) are to be auctioned on eBay. On one side of each mat is the SCBF43 logo, with the reverse printed for the sponsor. The logo side, when arranged, gives a large image of the festival poster. The […]
- BeerX to leave Sheffield - The Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) has annouced that next year’s BeerX trade show will take place in Liverpool rather than Sheffield. The exhibition, one of the largest of its kind in the UK, had been held here for the last five years. This year’s BeerX took place at iceSheffield from 16-19 March, hosting more […]
- George & Dragon day trip - Sheffield & District CAMRA are hoping to arrange a day trip to visit CAMRA’s national Pub of the Year for 2017, the George & Dragon in Hudswell, North Yorkshire. The pub was re-opened in 2010 by a local community group and also won the Yorkshire Pub of the Year award in 2016. We have provisionally […]
- Is your beer LocAle? - LocAle is a CAMRA initiative aiming to recognise and promote those pubs who support local brewers by selling locally brewed beers. Any pub that has at least one good quality locally-produced real ale available at all times can be accredited by its local CAMRA branch. Our branch defines “LocAle” as beer brewed within 20 miles […]
- Stancill Brewery - Stancill Brewery completes expansion After enjoying a record-breaking start to 2017, Stancill Brewery has been operating close to capacity in recent months and in order to meet rising demands for its award-winning ales, the brewery has invested in a new universal tank. The new 30bbl tank will enable the brewery to increase the number of […]
- Blue Bee Brewery - We have two of our personal favourite beers back for August. The first of these is Born in the USA, 6.0%. This IPA combines three great American hop varieties: Mosaic, Citra and Ekuanot which together give big tropical fruit flavours and resinous notes. Secondly is Ginger Beer, 4.5% – perfect for the summer this pale […]
- Abbeydale Brewery - We are writing this month’s Beer Matters submission live from Sunfest! We hope those of you who came down had a great weekend, as always it’s such a highlight of the year for us and we hope that the eleventh Sunfest lived up to everyone’s expectations! We are so pleased to have had Cavendish Cancer […]
- Neepsend Brew Co - We’ve recently gone into our back catalogue for fresh batches of a couple of beers we’ve brewed previously. Annona is a 4.2% Oatmeal Pale showcasing one of our very favourite hop varieties, Mosaic, to give bags of tropical fruit and blueberry flavours complemented by the smoothness and body the addition of oats provides. This one […]
- Bradfield Brewery - Whilst Christmas may seem still a while away, it is very much the top of the agenda this month at Bradfield Brewery. Our brew-to-bottle schedule is a little hectic to say the least and an early start is required to make sure we get enough in stock to meet the festive demand! Speaking of Christmas […]
- July Pub of the Month presentation - On 11 July, members headed to the Wisewood Inn in Loxley for the presentation of our Pub of the Month award for July 2017. The pub was packed to the rafters to see branch chairman Mick Saxton hand over the certificate to licensee Pat Bailey and his staff. With its convivial atmosphere, eclectic decor and […]
- North Derbyshire Pub of the Year presentation - A number of CAMRA members from across the area along with local pub regulars assembled at the Miners Arms in Hundall, near Dronfield, on Friday 7th July to celebrate the pub winning CAMRA’s North Derbyshire Pub of the Year award. CAMRA Regional Organiser Pete Boitoult presented the winners certificate and the whole cast of management […]
- Pub of the Year presentation - It will have come as no surprise to many that Sheffield & District CAMRA members yet again voted the Kelham Island Tavern as their Pub of the Year for 2017. Branch members descended on the pub in their droves on the evening of 22 June to see our social secretary Patrick Johnson present pub owners […]
- Club of the Year presentation - On Saturday 17 June, several members from Sheffield & District CAMRA headed to the Stocksbridge RUFC clubhouse to present the Club of the Year award for 2017. The clubhouse was opened in 1985 when the rugby club took over a derelict chapel. Over the years it has become well-known in the area for its excellent […]
- June Pub of the Month presentation - Sheffield & District CAMRA members headed to the Broadfield on Abbeydale Road on Tuesday 13 June to celebrate the Pub of the Month award for June 2017. With its wide range of real ales (there were nine handpumps available on the night with the usual selection of True North ales plus guests), good food and […]
- The Albion, London Road - Stancill Brewery has confirmed the Albion will officially re-open its doors on Friday 28 July following an extensive refurbishment of the historic pub. Since receiving the keys to the building, which has been serving the people of Sheffield since the 1830s, Stancill has undertaken an extensive refurbishment of the interior, as well as overhauling The […]
- A Grand Festival Day Out - The purpose of this month’s trip was to sample 3 previously unattended beer festivals in the Nuneaton and Leicester areas. A sunny and quite warm Saturday morning allowed for a nice steady trip to Nuneaton via Leicester and a leisurely stroll around Nuneaton open market before the noon opening of the 5th Nuneaton and Bedworth […]
- NorFolk Festival - On 29-30 July 2017, the Norfolk Arms over in Grenoside will be hosting their first ever NorFolk Fest, bringing the best in live music, craft stalls, children’s activities, lots of gin and an epic beer line-up. Since Stancill Brewery have taken over the site in October they have received much support from the community during […]
- Palm Tree, Walkley - Just in time for Midsummer’s Day, the revamped beer garden at the Palm Tree at Walkley had its official opening. Sheffield Outdoor Living have changed the small sheltered area into a wonderful decked area with an outside bar and a children’s play area including a sand pit. The pub has free snooker on Monday, Tuesday […]
- Cherry Tree, Millhouses - The Cherry Tree on Carter Knowle Road has held three major music events over the last month. Well known Sheffield band Jack’s Rake performed at two: the annual staff party for St Luke’s Nursing Home and ‘Music Sunday’, which now takes place the first Sunday in every month. Due to holidays, the next event will […]
- Inn Brief
Firstly, we would like to say a massive thank you to Duncan Shaw at the Fat Cat for taking the delivery of July’s Beer Matters at very short notice!
Punch Taverns are looking for a new manager for the Old Crown Inn on London Road.
Our Pub of the Month winners for May, the University Arms, have announced they will soon be offering a 10p per pint discount for CAMRA members on all real ales.
Two buyers are in negotiations over the Boardwalk, with suggestions that the city-centre venue could reopen as two separate licensed premises by the end of the year.
The Stone & Taps on Glossop Road is currently closed, less than six months after it opened.
The Three Tuns has been taken over by Shaun Price, initially on a three-month lease to gauge its viability. Food will be served on weekday lunchtimes.
A planning application has been made to convert the Something Special gift shop in Woodseats into a micro pub.
The Bull’s Head at Ranmoor is still being run by a temporary manager. There have been three applicants wishing to take on the tenancy, one of whom is planning a conversion into a gastropub.
Paul and Jimmy who ran the Old Grindstone in Crookes have departed the pub.
The Noah’s Ark in Crookes is currently being looked after by a relief manager following the departure of the landlord.
Dore Beer and Burger Festival
Sat 29 Jul
Sat 29 – Sun 30 Jul
The Norfolk Arms at Grenoside is hosting its first ever beer and music festival, featuring more than 30 beers and live music, plus food from Nether Edge Pizza Company, Mussel Pot and Caribbean Fusion. There is also a special discount available for CAMRA members with a valid membership card. Buses 85 and 86 both stop nearby.
CAMRA’s Great British Beer Festival
Tue 8 – Sat 12 Aug
CAMRA’s annual major beer festival held at Olympia Exhibition Halls in London (next to Kensington Olympia rail station, served by London Overground and Southern) and staffed by volunteers from across the UK, Europe and America, this year celebrating it’s 40th anniversary. Features several hundred real ales including a number imported from the USA along with European beers both on draft and in bottles. There are also dedicated cider & perry bars offering a huge choice. Food and product stalls, games and a programme of entertainment also features. More information at www.gbbf.org.uk, advance tickets are available that offer cheaper and quicker entry. Regular trains and coaches run between Sheffield and London operated by East Midlands Trains, National Express and Megabus.com.
Fri 11 – Sun 13 Aug
JockFest at the Horse and Jockey in Wadsley returns after a hiatus of several years. The festival will feature a comprehensive selection of guest beers, live music and street food. For more information, visit the pub’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/horsejockeyS6.
Fri 18 – Sun 20 Aug
Arranged by Thornbridge Brewery at Bakewell Showground, this festival features a range of beers from Thornbridge plus guests including Hawkshead, Magic Rock, Tiny Rebel, Wild Beer Co and others along with live music. Entry to the beer festival is free. A campsite is available (must be booked in advance). TM Travel Bus 218 runs regularly from Sheffield to Bakewell – every half hour in the daytime, less frequent in the evening.